@babbles - thats fair enough - and 15kg's is an amazing loss :)

I hope you will still update though and let us know how you are getting on?

Would love to see how you are travelling and of course offer any type of support if you need!

Edited to add: Maybe start blogging if you don't want to keep updating this post?

Reactions: April
Thanks.

Yeah I'll possibly update if I remember haha. Ill only update with milestones anyway :)

Reactions: Rava
Wish you all the luck on your way without Duromine! Fingers crossed for your success on your way to a healthier, fitter and happier you! =)

Reactions: Rava
Day 18. Still a newbie. Really bad day today. I had been sleeping well up until last night. I take my anti depressant before bed. It usually ‘bombs me’ OH MY - I am loosing my cool today. I swear I heard every noise known to man. Did not sleep. No routine this morning either. I tried to rest earlier FML. No avail - there are beautiful children playing outside, vicious sunlight, tv etc. My poor husband came home and mentioned Gym. Then he saw my blood shot eyes. ?? Has my weight loss thrown out my chemical balance?? Any suggestions please??

Reactions: SammyS
quorta said:
Day 18. Still a newbie. Really bad day today. I had been sleeping well up until last night. I take my anti depressant before bed. It usually ‘bombs me’ OH MY - I am loosing my cool today. I swear I heard every noise known to man. Did not sleep. No routine this morning either. I tried to rest earlier FML. No avail - there are beautiful children playing outside, vicious sunlight, tv etc. My poor husband came home and mentioned Gym. Then he saw my blood shot eyes. ?? Has my weight loss thrown out my chemical balance?? Any suggestions please??
I am on 15 mg and take one tablet every second day, I take lexapro half tablet daily but I take mine every morning, I also take spirulina and magnesium , I've been on duromine since June , I had a few nights with interrupted sleep but now I sleep well , I'm adhd so not sure if this matter but I've lost 10kg in total, no exercise and I eat small meals as I find my stomach has shrunk.

Reactions: quorta
SammyS said:
I am on 15 mg and take one tablet every second day, I take lexapro half tablet daily but I take mine every morning, I also take spirulina and magnesium , I've been on duromine since June , I had a few nights with interrupted sleep but now I sleep well , I'm adhd so not sure if this matter but I've lost 10kg in total, no exercise and I eat small meals as I find my stomach has shrunk.
I’m on 30mg. Not sure what happened. None today or coffee. I feel worse than jet lag or a hangover. Swearing like a trooper. Can’t wait til sunset.

quorta said:
I’m on 30mg. Not sure what happened. None today or coffee. I feel worse than jet lag or a hangover. Swearing like a trooper. Can’t wait til sunset.
I have 3 dble shots of expresso with half teaspoon every morning before work lol

SammyS said:
I have 3 dble shots of expresso with half teaspoon every morning before work lol
I love my coffee. Have found one enough with all the water I need to drink for gym and serious sweating in Qld.

quorta said:
My dr asked questions about depression before giving me a script.., I was under the impression if you were taking anti depressants or have history of depression you couldn’t get a script due to them interfering with moods/anti-depressants. Maybe go back to dr to discuss?

Blondyn said:
My dr asked questions about depression before giving me a script.., I was under the impression if you were taking anti depressants or have history of depression you couldn’t get a script due to them interfering with moods/anti-depressants. Maybe go back to dr to discuss?
No its all good. I wouldn’t be without my antidepressant. It’s like insulin to a diabetic. Having PTSD I have zero serotonin. Lesser of two evils. Sadly its been the major cause of my weight problems. Some of the chemicals excreted cause carb cravings hence weight gain over time.

Reactions: Blondyn
quorta said:
No its all good. I wouldn’t be without my antidepressant. It’s like insulin to a diabetic. Having PTSD I have zero serotonin. Lesser of two evils. Sadly its been the major cause of my weight problems. Some of the chemicals excreted cause carb cravings hence weight gain over time.
That’s good all checked out. My dr gave me the impression that couldn’t be taken together, but I don’t take any so didn’t go into detail. Hope you are feeling better soon. x

I got my antidepressants for anxiety more than depression , been on them for a month nearly , she said the lexapro is the safest one and is only a mild antidepressant

It could be a low dose of Lexapro too. I guess we all react differently to meds.

ScallyN said:
It could be a low dose of Lexapro too. I guess we all react differently to meds.
Yeah its only 10 mgs , i was worried about taking them as i got prescribed 30 mgs of another antidepressant and i was like a zombie , couldn't handle that but this one is working well.

quorta said:
Hi, you really should talk to your doctor again. I know that Duromine and certain antidepressant groups can have very serious drug interactions and most importantly they can sort of amplify each others effects, what could be the case for you. Also it is my understanding that sleep issues and mood issues from duro would normally manifest within first two weeks, but for you it seems to be the other way around. I mean your physical and mental health comes first and better safe than sorry. I strongly suggest you discuss this with your GP as soon as possible and in worst case scenario there are other good weight loss drugs that can be friendlier to you.

Reactions: April
Blondyn said:
That’s good all checked out. My dr gave me the impression that couldn’t be taken together, but I don’t take any so didn’t go into detail. Hope you are feeling better soon. x
Certain groups of antidepressants normally would not be taken with duromine because there can be very very dangerous interactions. Active substance in duromine is Phentermine and while it is not considered MAOi it works by inhibiting monoamine receptors in the brain, hence it has similar contradictions as a drug that is classed as MAOi. Long story short - if you take any antidepressants you must discuss with your doctor if duro is right for you. If you are feeling bad and you are taking duro and anti-depressants - you must discuss this with your doctor asap, as you really do not want to take any chances with this one.

Last edited:
How was your third week on Duromine? You can share your third-week experience here.

babbles said:
Welcome to my journey!
**Warning long post ahead**​

Just a bit of a back story on myself.
I'm a 25 year old Female from Australia.

I've been over weight all my life, my weight really ballooned when I met my Husband. When we met I was around 120ish kg, which I ballooned up to from 100kg (my lowest weight that I can remember) after life issues, dating issues etc.

I got comfortable as you do in a lot of relationships, we used to eat junk food all the time I saw him which was about once a week at that point. Then when I moved up closer to him for work, we saw each other more regularly however that's when we started going for walks each morning to which I managed to loose about 8kg then, but then we stopped.

Next we moved in together, even more bad eating, no exercising etc. My weight ballooned up to my highest ever which was between 157-160kg how ashamed I was. We then got married, which was magically however I lost no weight for my wedding (big mistake I wish I did) we tried exercising and eating healthy a couple of times, well I did however each time I flopped and gave up. It really disappointing him more then anything as well, which caused a bit of strain on us.

In 2017 I decided I have to do something, this is ridiculous I got obstructive sleep apnea from it and would wake up throughout the night, in the morning when I woke up my feet would hurt so much to stand on i'd have to wait a moment before I got up and started walking. It was terrifying knowing I had sleep apnea and that they wanted to put me on a breathing machine. That's when it snapped in my brain, I was like hell no am I paying that money and living a life like that I have to do something about it.

I went and spoke to my GP, who said things harshly which sadly is how I needed to hear it, there was a lot of tears involved in it all. He gave me a program where I saw a dietitian and a exercise therapist 4 times each for free. I did all those visits, exercise therapist helped the most, dietitian not so much. I believe my GP precised me a box of 15mg Duromine around about then, I only took the month and never got a refill (in 2017 I took a total of 2 boxes in that time.) My main goal for him was 25kg loss in a year.

I carried on myself, with the ongoing support of my husband and I went from 157-160kg down to 133kg on my own. I originally was in a pole dancing gym, but then I left to go to a regular gym as for one its much cheaper and two the classes were hard to get to with my job at that point in time.

Fast forward to 7th of June 2018, seen my GP a few days prior and he wanted to prescribe me Duromine 40mg as my weight loss had plateaued for the past few months (only loosing about 6-8kg in a few months) he wanted to boost my weight loss again, he also said he wanted me on it for a while. He's happy with my progress so far he just wants to keep pushing it. I agreed to it to see how it would go as its quiet expensive and I didn't want to waste our money for it not to do anything, because when I used it previously in 2017 I wasn't mindful of how I ate or exercised so it didn't really work then.

So here we are today on the 30th of June at 7am, I have 11 pills left till the end of my first box and my weigh in yesterday was 127.5kg (when I started it was 133.2kg.) However this morning I weighed in at 128.2kg, I understand weight fluctuates due to many things happening in your body, sometimes I still find it hard in my mind to think that because as soon as I see a gain I will feel immediate guilt.

I personally haven't had many symptoms on Duromine, I have had the occasional dry mouth, 1-2 restless nights, at the start I felt jittery and felt like I had to do all the things and couldn't keep still. However my most annoying one is break through periods, I am on the pill and even when I skip my period I still get it..not something I enjoy at all.
I also had a terrible time with a cold during the third week I believe, which was two weeks long, finally got over it which was great (also stopped taking Duromine for 3 days during that at one stage)

Usually for eating I eat fairly smallish meals, I have changed my eating habits a lot since before Duromine and I can definitely notice a difference in how I feel.
I also go to the gym 5 days a week (having rest days on Friday & Saturday) and usually do 20 mins of treadmill and 20-30 mins of weights.
My job is quite hands on as well and I'm often walking alot and lifting heavy things during the day which really helps boost things as well.

My stats as of today:

Start Date: 7th June
Current Date: 30th June
Start Weight: 133.2kg
Current Weight: 128.2kg
Weightloss: 5kg
Height: 165cm
Mini Goal: 120kg
Goal Weight: 100kg

So that is my story, thus far. I will continue posting more about my journey, hoping to see the day of 100kg mark!
Hi, how's your journey going