Duromine & Insomnia

Hi :)
Easy snacks can be fruit, vege sticks with skinny hummus dip, small handful of almonds, boiled egg or make some bliss/protein balls plenty of recipes on Internet and Pinterest. Keep using your fitness pal app you can even log food when eating out as it has such a huge database. Stick with it and you'll be amazed at the results! First week is the hardest, drink LOADS of water!!!!!!
Best of luck x

Toni63 said:
Hi :)
Easy snacks can be fruit, vege sticks with skinny hummus dip, small handful of almonds, boiled egg or make some bliss/protein balls plenty of recipes on Internet and Pinterest. Keep using your fitness pal app you can even log food when eating out as it has such a huge database. Stick with it and you'll be amazed at the results! First week is the hardest, drink LOADS of water!!!!!!
Best of luck x

What about yoghurt and rice cakes? The only uncooked vegie I would eat is carrot. I don't really like celery.
And do you think wraps would be a good alternative to bread? I think bread is my biggest weakness and pasta :( thank you for replying

Try go for a greek yogurt with live cultures in it like mundella. As a probiotic it can help reduce the chance of thrush. Yes, you can get thrush while taking duromine even if you have never had it before.
I personally stay away from carbs as much as possible. Especially after lunchtime, because i know i wont be able to burn it off if i have it with dinner. Wraps and bread are good, however it is all about portion size, whats in it and lastly what time of day you have it. Linseed and rye or wholemeal bread is fine to incorporate into your diet. If its white - throw it out* haha is a thing i heard somewhere when trying to do the right thing by your body. Eat things you know you do like. Ie. If you like tomatoes or mushrooms. Beans. Snow peas. Unsalted peanuts. Boiled eggs - i boil up 6 at a time and leave them in the fridge for a quick snack. Leaving the shell on until im ready to eat them. Rivita or cruskits are good for putting avacados, hummus or tuna on. I estimate 100g of meat & 200g of veg at dinner time. Perhaps invest in a high protein low carb shake? Swap out your full cream milk for skim.

The thing is, if you go ALL diet and dont eat things you normally would then you wont change your habit and your weight will creep back on once your script is finished. So, make the change without sacrificing too much. Eat something small when you start to feel hungry.
Make your bed and Stretch out your muscles when you get up so you feel like you have already accomplished something for the day and just want to keep on going.. You've got this gurl! You can do it!!

Reactions: jessiy
And i agree LOTS OF WATER!
Dry mouth is usually a side effect.
By drinking water your body becomes more hydrated and will release the reserves it has, aka you lose water weight. This explains alot of peoples high weight loss in week 1. Water also flushes the kidneys of toxins. Kidneys filter our blood. All in all a healthier you.

Zuchinni noodles are a great replacement for pasta so u feel like your still eating pasta but without the calories, my whole family love them. Also cauliflower rice is lovely too :) Try having just meat or fish with lots of veg and salad for dinner, include protein in every meal as it will keep you fuller for longer and slowly wean yourself off too many carbs. I agree shakes are handy to have in case your in a hurry and haven't anything prepared. Take each day as it comes and soon you will see results :)

Reactions: Kate
Feeling a bit shitty, had a dietitians appointment, really help figure out what foods to eat and what not but I felt so judged. I can't explain it :/ he told me that duromine won't help and it's all up to me, and I get where he was coming from but to say that wouldn't do anything, didn't help my confidence.
Got weighed on his scales and I was 140.9 so that's a weight loss of 1.3 but weight myself when I got home and it said I had put on .6kg so I don't know. Just wanting to cry

Don't cry!! Your just going to have to prove that horrible dietitian wrong!! At least he helped you work out what foods to eat. Duromine will help but you still need to eat right and exercise. It will help you feel less hungry and have more energy, but there will be days when you feel really tired and times when you will feel a little hungry, but stick to your eating plan and you'll be shedding the kilos before you know it. His scales and yours may differ, like there's 2kg different between my scales and the ones at the gym. Just use the number from the scales you can weigh on regularly.
Chin up buttercup you can do this !!!!!!!!! Every day will be another step towards the new you :)

Duromine will help you in the short term, as it will stop food cravings. You will be able to eat three meals a day, and not think about food at other times or be tempted to snack. The problem is, the effect gets weaker over time, and you can's stay on it longer than three months. You have three months to kick start your weight loss and to learn good habits for life.

A great way to learn what to eat is the Weight Watchers program. I am following this while on duromine. You can join online or go to a meeting - whatever fits your personality best. You will not be judged! Instead you will find a really supportive environment. None of us are perfect, but you know we are all trying to better ourselves, and sometimes asking for some help is the hardest part.

Another good thing to think about is reasons for overeating. I know I constantly think about food and snack too much. To counter this I am limiting myself to three meals a day with no snacks, and lots of things to keep me distracted during the day. If your not sure, talking toa counsellor could help.

Hope this makes you feel better, take it one day at a time!

Toni63 said:
Don't cry!! Your just going to have to prove that horrible dietitian wrong!! At least he helped you work out what foods to eat. Duromine will help but you still need to eat right and exercise. It will help you feel less hungry and have more energy, but there will be days when you feel really tired and times when you will feel a little hungry, but stick to your eating plan and you'll be shedding the kilos before you know it. His scales and yours may differ, like there's 2kg different between my scales and the ones at the gym. Just use the number from the scales you can weigh on regularly.
Chin up buttercup you can do this !!!!!!!!! Every day will be another step towards the new you :)

Thank you! Finally feeling a bit better. Did a jillian Michaels exercise DVD and hap a nap after, had some avocado on toast and it didn't agree with me.
I still feel extremely hungry. I've gone from eatin crap to trying to eat healthy overnight and my stomach isn't handling it too well. So I hope the duromine will suppress my appetite soon, so I don't have to stress about wanting more food.

Did a tricky and put my scales on the hallway carpet instead of the bathroom floor and it told me I was 90kg! Haha if only

katsuu said:
Duromine will help you in the short term, as it will stop food cravings. You will be able to eat three meals a day, and not think about food at other times or be tempted to snack. The problem is, the effect gets weaker over time, and you can's stay on it longer than three months. You have three months to kick start your weight loss and to learn good habits for life.

A great way to learn what to eat is the Weight Watchers program. I am following this while on duromine. You can join online or go to a meeting - whatever fits your personality best. You will not be judged! Instead you will find a really supportive environment. None of us are perfect, but you know we are all trying to better ourselves, and sometimes asking for some help is the hardest part.

Another good thing to think about is reasons for overeating. I know I constantly think about food and snack too much. To counter this I am limiting myself to three meals a day with no snacks, and lots of things to keep me distracted during the day. If your not sure, talking toa counsellor could help.

Hope this makes you feel better, take it one day at a time!
As I said above, it still hasn't stopped the cravings, but I'm hoping that will change, might have to talk to the doctor about upping my dosage? See how this month goes. :)

Dear, Ebony

Don't worry, it's only few days, but everybody is different and maybe your body just needs more time to get used to the pills. I agree with the ladies here, a healthy diet and new eating habits must be your goal for life, because people tend to regain the weight back after they stop using the diet pills and quit dieting. You should realize that the word "diet" means a proper eating not just a remedy for your excess weight.

I had extreme cravings for junk food too, but little by little Duromine helped me and I just stopped buying everything that was bad for me. Yes, my hubby and kids suffered without sweets, candies, ice cream and other bad stuff. But I convinced them plus I started to cook homemade cookies and pies that were not that high in calories as those from the store. By the way, you can cook pretty much all the snacks yourself - potato chips, some chicken wraps, sauces, etc. Just use chicken, turkey, fresh vegetables and natural spices. And the main thing is portion size - the smaller the better. Even if you eat a slice of pizza, it won't hurt you too much if it's just a tiny slice;) But at this point make sure you avoid such temptation.

Speaking of pasta - common misbelief. The whole thing about gaining weight with pasta is about not pasta itself but the dressing and sauces you put in it. I love pasta, so I choose only durum wheat kinds. Sauce: zucchini peels, garlic, carrot peels, basil, olive oil and a pinch of parmezan. Or: chopped cherry tomatoes, fresh paprika, onions, dry marjoram, salt /pepper, olive oil. You may add some chicken breast, or turkey. Just avoid pork and bacon and check out the calories (use some app). Eggs are great at any time of the day, better be boiled. Actually, you can have 4-5 meals a day, but small ones. Breakfast is th emost important that's for sure. At the beginning, when you feel hungry, just take some rasins or nuts, drink water with ginger and teaspoon of honey, this drink will give you energy. Later, you may schedule your daily meals (when our body gets used to eat at the same time every day, our body weight stabilizes).

If you still having problems with sleep, read some tipes from HERE

I really wish you can achieve your first great weight loss soon, just don't look at others' results and try to weigh yourself at least once a week.

Good luck!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: katsuu and Booty
Thank you so much for your reply. I've read so many stories where people put all the weight back in because of the food they eat. So I'm making it a lifestyle change and not a diet. :)
Got a fairly good sleep last night. So feeling pretty good today, still no mass amounts of energy but that's okay.

Reactions: Booty
Hi Ebony
I could be be wrong but just a thought. Maybe eating carbs are making you feel extra hungry, that's what happens to me. Yes, these pills help suppress appetite but I find if I start the day with egg on toast that I struggle with cravings the whole day. I try to stick to low carb and I find it much easier.

Keep at it, just figure out what works for you. Of course duromine works, but it is temporary and a time to change bad habits that made us gain weight in the first place. For me exercising early in the morning helps, not sure why but those days are my easiest at eating right.

Subway is a good choice for take away, you choose the salad and the meat. Comes in a pretty big container, enough for two meals I reckon.

Thanks for your reply. Good wise I'm going great. But starting to worry that duromine aren't worling at all, no more early mornings, I'm not getting up til 9:30. Just really scared that if they don't work, I will fail,

You will be fine. Your body is adjusting - first time ever i had a nap in the afternoon while having duromine. I know its working - because i had a coffee, must have restimulated it because i only had 3 hrs of broken sleep last night. :-/
Take your tablet same time every day - set an alarm to remind you. Go about clean eating, drinking plenty of water and exercising. That is your main goal, You cannot fail on that. You may fall, you may stumble, but you can never fail on something you wish to achieve* ♡

Reactions: tanlucer
Thank you, that made me feel better. I've been cleaning like mad so they must be doing something! I've been using my fitness pal app to track my food. If anyone has it my user name is ebonnilouise - feel free to add me :)

Reactions: tanlucer and Booty
Day 5: no side effect. Not even good ones. Woke up at 8:30. And have pretty much done nothing all day, I feel as though it's meant to make me want to do something active. Feeling really down but shall not give up. Also very tempted to weigh in but I will hold back until Sunday.

What about your appetite, is that under control at the moment? Even if the duromine is just controlling that, well that's a positive. I find my energy kind of comes in bursts, it's not like I have endless energy. The times I'm a little lethargic is when I haven't been eating enough. Saying that, I still force myself to get on the treadmill and I feel better for it. Maybe try to do some exercise in the morning even if you don't feel like and see if that helps your energy levels through the day.

Sometimes a sneaky weigh in is good as it can motivate you, either your losing weight so know your on track, or if not losing you know you know you need to do more. I find the more i do the more energy I have. So maybe go for a walk in the morning and try and keep busy from there. I too have days when I feel really flat but I still drag myself to the gym and feel better for it. Make sure your eating enough and drinking enough to keep energy up too.

Appetite still exists but I've got it under control, although I felt really sick this afternoon and I think it's cause I hadn't eaten enough, but Ive been sticking to what the dietitian said, so I don't know. Aye something and felt better. Thought maybe I'm not eating enough for my body.. Is that possible.