so proud 11kgs down after two whole months hopefully this last month brings me to goal weight but glad either way ! for all you newbies out there stick to your goals and your goal weight will come good luck !! :) sw 83kgs current weight 72 kg !!

Yay! Congratulations! You deserved it! :cool::laughing:

This is very motivating - thank you

Hello fellow peoples,

I would just like to share my journey on Duromine 40 mg/day so far.

Setting the Scene

Starting weight: 128.5 kg
Current weight-ins:
  • As of 13/09/17 - 115.2 kg
  • As of 19/09/17 - 114.2 kg
  • As of 13/10/17 - 112.9 kg
  • As of 28/10/17 - 111.9 kg
Height: 175cm
Physique: Broad & Stocky
Time elapsed since starting: 7 weeks
1st week's initial loss: 4.5 kg
BMI (start): 41.8
BMI (As of 13/09/17): 37.6
BMI (As of 19/09/17): 37.3
BMI (As of 13/10/17): 36.87
BMI (As of 13/10/17): 36.2
(NOTE: BMI is such a crappy tool as it's inaccurate to actual body fat % since the fat/muscle density ratio is so far off. It's outdated and it isn't even used for its intended purpose that it was designed for)

Side Effects
  • Dry mouth - Really bad first couple of days, minor for the rest. (Almost use to it now).
  • Insomnia - Had it to begin with so no change (oh the joys of long, always last minute changing in shiftwork).
  • Slightly lowered libido (Still male so it'll never be all gone).
  • Bladder - Used to urinate frequently and forcefully pre-meds, now only a couple times daily and seems to take ages to only piss a little.
  • Feelings of being Hyper - uncommon occasions and only when with friends.
  • Hunger - Some days it works brilliantly and never hungry, others as if it does nothing (70%ish of time no hunger)
  • EDIT: (19/09/17): 'Parageusia' - Strong metallic taste coming from the right-most teeth. Getting checking by dentist. EDIT: Vanished after two weeks
The journey thus far...

TL;DR
Big nerd with poor health education upbringing PLUS injury limiting strenuous exercise = fat guy in a bad headspace. Changed career and education to Health, active self-management of conditions, and a Doctor that believes me and shows genuine concern led me to making better choices.

I weigh myself the same way each morning; wake up, bathroom to void, no clothes weighing before any intake of foods or water, record results, take tablet. My weightloss is going down like stairs; big drop that plateaus for a day or two then drops again.

Only exception was a single cheatday. Had bad news that day and I gained 2 Kg back as things kept going wrong but lost it all again within a couple days and now back on track. I've set myself until end of Dec to reach my first goal and I'm just over 1/3 of the way there already. I track my loss through a program that graphs the loss and it predicts that If I maintain my rate of loss, I'll reach my goal 1.5 months early.

Also I bought an exercise bike (cant run due to injury) that I use 30 mins daily right after before lunch and my classes.

Meal plan

BFast

• Either 2 x wholegrain toast with Vegemite (I'm Australian. Great source of nutrients and doesn't taste bad IF SPREAD PROPERLY! Hahaha).
  • OR Banana OR if hungry, cereal (sugar-free muesli) and half as much Milk as I used to pre-Meds.
Lunch
  • Either a Banana/apple.
  • OR a very small handful (big meaty man hands) of mixed nuts and dried fruits diced very tinely.
  • OR 2 x tablespoons of vanilla Yoghurt (not often as still has high sugars).
  • OR on odd occasions I might swap lunch out with a VLCD shake satchel left over from last fad diet attempts.
Dinner
  • Usually always the Australian staples: Spaghetti Bolognese only now instead of pasta (high carbs) I swap it with Cucumber or Zuchini thats been sliced into thin strips and pan fried (very little oil) and amount no more than half what I'd used to pre-meds.
  • OR meat (snags/chicken breast no crumbing), 3 x Veg (peas, beans, carrot, broccoli, cauliflower, whatever tickles the fancy on the day) and 2 x tablespoons of mashed potato (easy on butter/milk too as high in starch). Only 1 extra snag if really hungry.
  • OR nothing depending on mood or day's events.
Snacks
None. Replaced with extra water.

Cheatdays
Once or twice a month and even then, no large meals, fries, or icecreams (my #1 weakness).

Background
I've always been a big guy for as long as I can remember. I'm a giant nerd (gotta fit the stereotype ya know), never really got into sports (though I enjoyed camping & hiking), didn't have much of a social life (like nearly at all), was very sedentary (still enjoy being so when I have the time for it), and while my upbringing was much better than other person's I've met, it was no 'silver spoon' upbringing. The promotion of healthy lifestyle choices wasn't really a thing in our household.

I'm 26 years old now and what's made my health even worse was when I suffered an injury on the job years back when dealing with manual use of machinery. My lifestyle choices just seemed spiral downwards after that. It wasn't until I started to reach some pretty dark headspaces that I decided to turn things around.

I hopped industries going from cleaning other people's s**t, to security (1st hand that bad people can be incredibly vile and cruel), and I saw myself slowly becoming the type of person I swore I'd never be like going in.

After making the choice to change industries again, I decided on a second university degree with the Health industry, specifically Paramedicine & Pre-Hospital. Oh boy, what a change and steep learning curve. Learning the anatomy and physiology has helped my understanding and management of my injury.

With a new promising career to build, a diet plan, and exercise bike, and new, healthy & supportive friends, I'm finally seeing positive progress in terms of weight as well as body shape (starting to shrink the big belly bulge and NO MORE THUNDERTHIGHS!). I finally feel alive again. Now to maintain the progress.

Jimmys

Last edited:
Wow, you're doing so well! Congrats on turning your life around, and still so young.

I started a degree in Nutrition a few years ago (didn't continue with it, changed to Librarian) and in the first class they did what seemed to me a very easy quiz about nutrition. Did alcohol have calories? Did meat have carbs? And I was astonished that about half the class were getting them wrong! It turns out that if you haven't spent years reading every book available to find the magic easy way to lose weight, you don't automatically know all this stuff. We are not born knowing. Congrats on educating yourself!

Reactions: Jimmys949
Librarian said:
Wow, you're doing so well! Congrats on turning your life around, and still so young.

I started a degree in Nutrition a few years ago (didn't continue with it, changed to Librarian) and in the first class they did what seemed to me a very easy quiz about nutrition. Did alcohol have calories? Did meat have carbs? And I was astonished that about half the class were getting them wrong! It turns out that if you haven't spent years reading every book available to find the magic easy way to lose weight, you don't automatically know all this stuff. We are not born knowing. Congrats on educating yourself!

Thank you! Also I'd just love to say that the Librarians at my university are a godsend! They're so helpful when it comes to proof-reading assessments, or sourcing references that aren't in the uni's collection, and assisting in translating assessment criteria rubrics (OMG some people just should not write those). When it comes to nutrition I kit the ground running by making friends with some Nutrition and Exercise Science students from which we all learn as we go. It's probably the best thing that's been helping through this whole process, the ability to make friends which offer so much fun and encouragement. Also helps when a lot of them are on the 'right' side of the health curve. It's like, everything to aspire to.

Just couldn’t get enough of reading this… Hello Jimmy! Welcome to the forum! Thank you for being here and congratulations with the amazing results you managed to reach, both in your weight loss journey and switching your mind to the healthier side. Hope you don’t mind getting one more fan. =) I am so following this thread. =) Best of luck and keep doing what you are doing for weight loss, because it’s obviously working! A nice day to you!

Awww shucks and thank you April for the welcome. It has been doing so many wonders for me since the lifestyle change. Makes one feel human again being able to focus on learning and being able to speak to people about things other than to tell them off for doing bad things. I'm actually touching base with my Doctor again tomorrow for a check-up to see how I'm going with using Duromine. I'll hopefully have news later about reaching the set goals. The biggest concern I have though is once it has achieved its purpose, will the weight all come back again. It's certainly helping me make the right choices by educating me on how much healthy-weighted people should eat by no longer having to fight the hunger impulses as badly. The hard part is that it only affects the hunger impulse itself, not the desire to still eat bad foods.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bellabo and April
Jimmy I'm lucky in that it's mostly killed my cravings for bad foods. I've only had a couple of indulgences. Though when I was home with the flu and bored it was more difficult! Definitely an emotional eater.

I am very scared that I will put all the weight back on when I go off Duromine. Not sure how I'll avoid that.

Librarian said:
Jimmy I'm lucky in that it's mostly killed my cravings for bad foods. I've only had a couple of indulgences. Though when I was home with the flu and bored it was more difficult! Definitely an emotional eater.

I am very scared that I will put all the weight back on when I go off Duromine. Not sure how I'll avoid that.

Librarian, yes it has been so helpful on that front. In the past I wouldn't put much thought at all to what I ate, only what tasted the best. Now with taking it, I can actively decide "ya know what, it's not that bad eating healthly", more so without the impulse whispering in your ear like a little devil on the shoulder.

If your concerned about what will happen once you stop taking it, discuss with your Doctor. They can help you out with this. There are a couple strategies that can be done such as gradual lowering of dosage to allow a smoother transition back the new you that you've created. That'll help you in sticking to the healthy habits you've formed.

Another strategy could be to take it intermittently as you start to reach your goals to make coming off Duromine easier to manage without falling back on old habits

Progress Update!

Hello again. I know I haven't posted in awhile, assessments for the semester are starting to ramp up so even less sleep and more stress but I'm beginning to slide past hump week of all the due dates. So apart from the progress made, the only new thing to mention is that since the weekend just gone I've started getting a very strong metallic taste coming from one specific area of the mouth. I'm making plans to get that checked with a dentist to see if the problem is dental or Duromine (listed side effect) though. My teeth aren't good by normal standards but there's never been anything particularly wrong with it either. Will get back to you on what the dentist says (and hopefully doesn't burn right through the wallet and the building below it either).

As for weight I'm happy to say that as of this morning I now weigh 114.2 kg. That's 4 points on the BMI scale gone! See picture below.
The Green line is a straight shot to the end of Dec and my goal of 100 kg. The red line shows the predicted timeline of reaching that goal according to my rate of weight-loss. Estimated date is a whole month before my goal. I have noticed that the amounts I'm losing is starting to slow down and take a little longer holding steady before it drops again but either way I'm happy. I haven't been this light in years.

I'm really amazed and the changes so far. I've reached the point now that I have to wear a belt with all my pants with exception to the stretch ones I use when on the bike. Also I think if I continue this trend, I'm going to have to get new belts soon as I don't have a leather punch or even use leather belts. I think by the end of the year I might even have to do a shopping spree and end up tossing half the wardrobe. The 2XL/3XL shirts I used to wear now are soooo big on me now. I'm now borderline L/XL depending on the make of the shirt. Really looking ahead now at what's next to come.

weightloss.png

Wow! Well done Jimmys you are doing an amazing job!

Hello Jimmy! This is amazing! Losing 4 BMI points and switching to seriously smaller size in clothes sounds like the progress is rushing forward and you will enjoy reaching your aim a lot faster. In fact, you should be extremely proud of yourself! You are doing everything correctly and consistently - high five! Have an amazing day and keep enjoying your changes for healthier life!

Thanks team its means a lot. It really does!

So another mini update. The weightloss has slowed right down for awhile buuuuut while that might be the case, I've begun to start losing a lot of the unsavoury shapes that come with being big. The unsightly beergut belly and chest shapes (I hate beer :p ) have started coming in and no longer hang down, the flabby extra chin is tightening (stocky genes, still havent got a neck). The fore arms and calves have also got tighter. Upper arms and thighs haven't had much progress.

I now have to wear a belt in order to prevent pants from falling down. I'm also going to end up replacing the non-variable belts with smaller sizes since I'm now on the smallest setting.

Powering on and hopefully reaching the goal before going on my clinical placements.

Jimmys949 said:
Thanks team its means a lot. It really does!

So another mini update. The weightloss has slowed right down for awhile buuuuut while that might be the case, I've begun to start losing a lot of the unsavoury shapes that come with being big. The unsightly beergut belly and chest shapes (I hate beer :p ) have started coming in and no longer hang down, the flabby extra chin is tightening (stocky genes, still havent got a neck). The fore arms and calves have also got tighter. Upper arms and thighs haven't had much progress.

I now have to wear a belt in order to prevent pants from falling down. I'm also going to end up replacing the non-variable belts with smaller sizes since I'm now on the smallest setting.

Powering on and hopefully reaching the goal before going on my clinical placements.

Hi Jimmy! Actually, even though your message begins with the weight loss slowing down, the news is great! I don’t have to explain that the weight loss process goes in steps, because you know it even better than me – weight-volumes-weight-volumes. Watching your body shrinking is a wonderful feeling. I have to admit, I also had problems with upper arms and thighs. I guess, skin in these areas is thinner and needs more efforts to tone up. I am not sure if you have any time and possibility to visit a pool (water exercises are among the best ways to tone up the skin and reduce volumes in all the right places), but it can really help you cope with these problem areas. Though, of course, there is another way, which is not so time consuming and extremely effective. I am not sure if you will find it... but it is sort of a “modelling cosmetic procedure”. You stand in your swimwear, and a person throws water on you from afar, under a high pressure. Takes some effort to not be washed away =))) but works miracles for your skin tone and volumes reduction. Fingers crossed for your further success and wish you a great weekend!

Reactions: Librarian
April said:
Hi Jimmy! Actually, even though your message begins with the weight loss slowing down, the news is great! I don’t have to explain that the weight loss process goes in steps, because you know it even better than me – weight-volumes-weight-volumes. Watching your body shrinking is a wonderful feeling. I have to admit, I also had problems with upper arms and thighs. I guess, skin in these areas is thinner and needs more efforts to tone up. I am not sure if you have any time and possibility to visit a pool (water exercises are among the best ways to tone up the skin and reduce volumes in all the right places), but it can really help you cope with these problem areas. Though, of course, there is another way, which is not so time consuming and extremely effective. I am not sure if you will find it... but it is sort of a “modelling cosmetic procedure”. You stand in your swimwear, and a person throws water on you from afar, under a high pressure. Takes some effort to not be washed away =))) but works miracles for your skin tone and volumes reduction. Fingers crossed for your further success and wish you a great weekend!

Yes it certainly has been rewarding. I've even received compliments from fellow students out of the blue, which is weird because it's something I never see people bother much with giving compliments without something to encourage it. I do have easy access to a pool although with the change it seasons, it needs some work done on it but I plan on taking full use when summer hits. Also the fact that the placement uniform out with the Ambos does not breathe at all. Sweating during Winter certainly says something.

Well I can say that I've never heard of being hosed off to tone skin before but you never know, I have some QFRS friend i could probably entice to hit me with the cannon ;-)

Reactions: Librarian
Jimmy, hi! It’s been so long since we last heard from you… how is it going?

Update,

Hi April, apologies about the long delay. It's almost the end of semester for me with the week just gone being when all the last of my assignments were due. I've got just one week to go until I there's back-to-back placement-exams-another placement so it's been really hectic of late. So far things have been reasonably good despite the stress. The weightloss has still been slow over the past week and a bit but the shape is still shrinking. I think it'll be like that for awhile until the body realises it's a good thing and starts to burn the weight again. I've had another checkup with my doctor who's please on the progress and he's ok'ed me to continue with the last month of prescription. I'm currently floating at the 112.9 kg to 113.6 kg over this last week but I'm not getting discouraged by no progress with just the numbers, I'm certain that I'll reach my goal in due time. Still, almost 16 kg lost over 8 weeks is very good and I'm happy with that. Too much too quickly would probably do more harm than good.

I've seen the dentist over the metallic taste in the mouth. Not duromine-related and it's gone now anyways. I've booked in to touch base next week with a dietitian/nutritionist to find ways of improving on the diet I currently on. Hopefully find something more manageable that won't require either a mass cook and fridge/freeze for the week, or the greater-evil option of having tiny bits of bad food and making it up by having salads the next. Seeing as I don't get the option to frequently shop nor have the funds for both duromine AND something like Lite-N-Easy, it becomes a struggle to properly manage the diet sometimes. I've been considering that when I finish my course of Duromine, it'll take the money I use on it and spend it on something like Lite-N-Easy.

On another note, now that my shape has really started to tone down and also that I'm no longer involved in with ADF Cadets movement, I've started doing some research and I've also sought out some male & female friends of mine of 'both persuasions' (;)) seeking fashion & grooming (beard) advice. Doing so was particularly awkward for me due to the upbringing I've had. Asking people that I know if 'this' would/wouldn't work, what they'd think suits me, tips & tricks, etc. Some have recommended finding a stylist and barber that's very on-point with assessing with a critical eye and giving further instruction. In the past I've never really felt nor cared much for fashion seeing as how people always judge what they see and they used to see exactly what they'd used to get.

EDIT: Oh I also forgot to add, the last couple of weeks the sleep has been all over the shop and I've been struggling to fix it and get it back to normal. I've been having between 3-5 hours of sleep with long days (21-25 hr periods) in between. The struggle lies with being in bed trying too much to get to sleep but not being feeling tired enough to get sleep earlier. I've also had a friend tell me that the length and quality of a person's sleep can affect their Cortisol levels (stress hormone) which can really mess with weight loss/gain. Perhaps this might be why I've been off my game with weight loss over the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Hi Jimmy, thank you very much for finding the time and writing an update. And, first things first – yes, insufficient sleep can make your weight loss stop and even cause a weight gain. So, you certainly need to do something about the sleeping issue. Many people find that a good late evening walk or exercising, followed by a good shower and no devices a couple of hours (at least an hour) before going to bed help falling asleep a lot faster. I am not sure if you have enough time for this routine, but it would be helpful.

If you can take any sleeping pills, you should take them (make sure that they don’t require having an 8-hour sleep, if you don’t have that much time to sleep) and inform the pharmacist or your consult with your doctor on which sleeping pills you’d better take.

Switching to lite-n-easy when you finish Duromine sounds like a great idea, especially that you have no time to cook properly, which means that you can gain the weight back, and you know it…

Great on maintaining a slow and steady weight loss and WELL DONE on starting to think over your physical appearance in terms of changing your look, etc. This shows that you are going through very pleasant changes that make you introduce even more good things. I am so extremely happy for you!!! Jimmy, keep doing whatever you are doing and you will go far! As always, looking forward to your next update and wish you a great and active day!

April said:
Hi Jimmy, thank you very much for finding the time and writing an update. And, first things first – yes, insufficient sleep can make your weight loss stop and even cause a weight gain. So, you certainly need to do something about the sleeping issue. Many people find that a good late evening walk or exercising, followed by a good shower and no devices a couple of hours (at least an hour) before going to bed help falling asleep a lot faster. I am not sure if you have enough time for this routine, but it would be helpful.

If you can take any sleeping pills, you should take them (make sure that they don’t require having an 8-hour sleep, if you don’t have that much time to sleep) and inform the pharmacist or your consult with your doctor on which sleeping pills you’d better take.

Switching to lite-n-easy when you finish Duromine sounds like a great idea, especially that you have no time to cook properly, which means that you can gain the weight back, and you know it…

Great on maintaining a slow and steady weight loss and WELL DONE on starting to think over your physical appearance in terms of changing your look, etc. This shows that you are going through very pleasant changes that make you introduce even more good things. I am so extremely happy for you!!! Jimmy, keep doing whatever you are doing and you will go far! As always, looking forward to your next update and wish you a great and active day!

April,
Thank you for the advice. I'll start to make correcting the sleeping issues I've got more of a priority seeing as I don't have that long left to take advantage of Duromine before I'm off it. Yes the drug has very serious health concerns that it adds into the mix and since I'm on the strongest dosage, I'd rather err on the side of caution in regards to prolonged usage. I've generally tried to stay away from having to take something to assist in sleep for fear of never waking when I need to since the schedule is all over the shop.

I try to aim for at least 1 workout of 30 minutes a day minimum in the evenings to help the body want to go to sleep. Also generally right after dinner to as doing so before encourages a large meal for the body to recharge and afterwards to burn off the energy it just took in. What I normally do to help get to sleep is read a book in bed to encourage mental fatigue (ah nothing like a good book to lose yourself in), although this can sometimes backfire if the book is a real page turner. It's not uncommon for me to go to bed around midnight (an early bedtime for me at the moment) and then spend the next 5-6 hours reading till I tire. Also that'd probably be a no unfortunately to a full 8 hours sleep. Getting the chance to have just 6 hours is awesome. Either way once my exams and my two placements are complete, I'll have 6 weeks where I won't have a full time roster to really smash through tasks that have been left to the wayside.

If I may be so bold as to ask what type of position you do for a living? I'm curious as to what you do since you respond and offer suggestions to so many people on this site. If completely okay if you don't wish to disclose of course, just curious is all.