So day 10 already and for the most part I’m feeling great. A bit jittery sometimes and a dry mouth but nothing major.
I have a question. I’ve only lost 1.5 kg and for the last 3 days the scales haven’t moved at all. I’m barely eating anything. Do you think my body has gone into starvation mode?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I answered this on your intro post, but just in case you don't see it :)

Same reply:

@Naynay I don't know your stats at all or how much you have to lose but everybody needs to eat! Are you tracking your calorie intake? Are you doing any exercise?

Most people here are eating between 1000 and 1200 calories - and some more than that depending on how much exercise you are doing.

I personally am following a low carb, high protein plan. The carbs I do eat are low gi and I find that I need them for energy..

Have a read of this. Well worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe starvation mode is a myth, I do believe that if you have a extreme deficit over a long period of time your body will conserve energy where it can thus reducing your overall calorie requirement. This will be through things like making you tired thus less prone to move as much, loss of hair/nails, not shedding body hair to keep body warm, eating muscle mass.

1.5kg in 10 days is pretty good. 3 days of no scale movement doesnt mean much. Sooooo many thing can cause that. Your monthly cycle for instance. For some people its around ovulation for others the days leading up to their period and for some its both but many females experience water retention which would mask any weight lost.

A strenuous day- eg on Sat I did double my normal run length, stayed busy all day and kept calories to 1500. Sunday morning I was up 1kg. Now I fully expected this because I was sore (still am a bit). From experience I know its usually takes 2 days with really good water consumption for this to drop back down for me.

I have mentioned extreme deficit before and the negative impact it can have on body composition in the long term. In that case the person asking doesnt have a lot of weight to lose not sure what your situation is.

"you dont have a great deal of weight to lose so you shouldn't expect to see big numbers. While you will always lose some muscle as well as fat while in a calorie deficit, if your losing big numbers at your weight then a bigger proportion of the loss will be muscle rather than fat. This is because we can only convert so much energy from a fat cell at a time, so if you have less fat to lose then once the body gotten as much energy from the fat as it can it will get energy from muscles. 2kg as a % of your starting weight of 66.5kg is 3%.

ie if you burn 2000 calories a day and you are 25% BF and weigh 65kg then your body can only get about 400 calories from fat cells (from memory it about 24 calories per kg of fat). So if you are only eating 1000 calories, your body can get 400 calories from your fat supplies so for the additional 600 calories it needs it will take it from muscle. In this scenario the body is losing muscle faster than its losing fat so actually body fat % is going to go up rather than down."

Reactions: April and Rava
Hi there,

Today is my first day taking Duromine 30mg (metermine).
I took it at 5:45am this morning. I haven't felt anything, no dry mouth, no energy and im still absolutely starving. My doctor prescribed Duromine for my appetite as i just couldn't get enough food lately and obviously because im in the obese class 33bmi. (183cms and 111.4kg)

Anyway did anyone else never get any side affects and it still work? Or did you end up getting side effects later?
I will obviously see the month through, just wanting some opinions on what to expect?

Thanks x

Reactions: Rava
Hi @Ashleigh Quinn and welcome :)

Everyone is different when starting Duromine so please don't worry. Some people feel an effect right away, whilst others need for it to build up in their system.

I would at least give it a 7 - 10 day try and see what happens. If you are still experiencing the same with no appetite suppression at all after this time, then I would go back to your GP and see if he/she will give you the 40mg dose.

Hopefully someone else will stop by and offer their opinion soon!

Hang in there ;)

Thank you for your reply

Hi Ashleigh! What I have noticed is when i took the Duromine on Sunday for the first time I was cleaning house and felt like i had increased energy after I had taken it. Subsequent to that, i have been at work Monday and today where I am sedentary and can say that I have not notice increased energy or thirst.
I guess what Rava says is true, everyone experiences it differently, but i think if you get the physical momentum going it will catch up and carry you through. I hope this makes sense? Good luck!

Day 1. (26/06/18)

So i took metermine 30mg at 5:45am. Fully expecting to feel it kick in within an hour or two. I was dissapointed when i was so tired i needed to go back to sleep, so i did. I woke at 9am and felt no different.
I was hungry, really hungry. I held off eating until 11am. I had a small protien yoghurt. I was full, but still "hungry".
Lunch, i had an apple.
By dinner time again i was starving, i cooked up a few days worth of pumpkin, veg and risoni. Next 4 days dinner ✓.
I then had some rainbow icecream. Its now all gone and i have no excuse to eat more :p
My Total calories were = 788
My total water intake was approx 1.9ltrs

I weigh myself daily, i find it holds me accountable to watch what im eating and to ensure i drink enough water since i struggle so much.

Daily loss = 1.3kg :laughing::laughing:

So i never once felt the energy everyone is talking about, no dry mouth, no appetite suppression. No side effects at all. I did get a headache just before bed, but i had been getting headaches in the days leading up to taking Duromineso, so i think it wasnt due to the pill.

Lets see what Day 2 brings :)

SW: 111.4
CW: 110.1
GW: 80

Soooooo I'm on the 30g now for nearly a whole month now. My next course starts 09 October 2018.

I am watching what I'm eating (on weekends I'm a little more relaxed but I choose what I am willing to eat more of or eat less of so that I balance out the bad with the good).

I'm not exercising at the moment. My baby boy is nearly 9 months old and has developed silent reflux because of him teething. So I'm literally surviving on about 3-4 hours of sleep a day. I simply do not have the energy to exercise.

I haven't had ANY of the side effects. No dry mouth, no insomnia, no palpitations, no dizziness. My blood pressure is mostly 124/83. There is no burst of energy. My appetite is not suppressed. I know I'm lucky right but I was so hoping for that burst of energy!

I'm trying to drink between 3-4 litres of water. Due to financial reasons, it's not always possible to eat as healthy as I would like.

I've lost about 3 kgs since I started.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Should I take a break and start again for my body to realise that I'm taking Duromine?

I'm at my wits end because my husband doesn't see why I should continue buying the pills if its not helping.

Any advice would be appreciated!

I understand ita hard to get more sleep with your baby, however usually a good nights sleep helps alot with your body recovering etc.
Its not to expensive to eat healthy either just make healthier choices with food like skim milk over full cream or light cheese or more veggies or salad on your plater over other goods to fill you up just generally stuff with less calories will add up as well

@Kim van Heerden - unfortunately love, it sounds as though you are one of those people, (just like me) who needs to sit down and plan. Even though I know its hard with a 9 month old baby and things will often go off schedule, I really do believe it will help you out.

Duromine is prescribed because it gives your metabolism a boost. But if we don't change anything about our routine in regards to food or exercise, it will probably only lose a few kilo's and that's it. Wish it was a magic weight loss pill for everyone, but unfortunately it isn't. Please don't get me wrong, I am not saying you haven't changed these things, but I just wanted to share with you some of the things that I have found out on my Duromine journey :)

There is a formula for weight loss and it is;

One pound of fat equates to 3,500 calories, so for a weekly loss of 2.2 pounds, or 1 kilogram, you need to plan a 1100 calorie deficit each day for a period of 7 days. (7700 calorie deficit each week).

If you create a deficit by restricting your calorie intact and doing exercise, you body sooner or later is going to drop weight.

Don't forget to look at a Basal Metabolic Rate and Resting Metabolic Rate calculator. These results will tell you what your body burns and needs to function just by doing normal everyday things. (If you cant find any good ones - let me know!)

Food Diary - If you haven't already one of the first things I would do is try a free food tracker - look at "My Fitness Pal" or "Lose It" Both these programs have free services and if you log your food for the day with everything you have eaten and drank, it will give you a really good break down of what you are putting into your body. Sodium, carbs, saturated fats, sugars.... I know for me, I would have sworn black and blue that I was under my calorie intake, but until I actually logged what I was eating and drinking I was gobsmacked to see I was way, way over.

A good rule of thumb for women to lose weight is to restrict their calories to 1200 per day. This is where the Duromine helps. If you do not have suppression of appetite, maybe its time to go to your GP and ask for the 40mg. Would they be open to you having a higher dose?

I understand that not everybody is financial to eat as healthily as they would like - but I think you will find that if you can plan your meals and snacks, it might be cheaper than you think. The problem with takeaway and pre-packaged meals is that they contain a lot of sodium, fats and carbs. A lot of sodium and fats are used to preserve the food you are heating up, so just by giving those up you are already improving your diet. If financially you just cant, maybe look at trying to substitute 2 - 3 meals a week. I tend to try and follow these rules when eating;

Protein first, Veggie's second, Low-Gi Carbs last if at all.

Exercise - it was one of the hardest things I had to implement for myself. And with you having a 9 month old at home, makes it all that bit harder.. You Tube is a great service, where there are literally so many exercising tips that you can just do at home - its been a godsend for me.. Just by googling "exercising tips with young baby at home" I found this really great article;

Link Removed

Even if you can only accomplish 1 set - its 1 set that you didn't do the day before and you WILL have ACCOMPLISHED a way of working TOWARDS your WEIGHTLOSS GOAL. Don't forget that exercise will release endorphins making you feel better hun!

I have issued myself a squat, tricep dip and ab challenge - basically I am starting off at 20 of each a day (don't all have to be done at the same time) with the challenge of increasing each exercises reps by the end of the week. If it is easy for you, you could up it each day if needed. Would love it if you joined me? Then we could be each other's motivator :)

Last but not least, if your GP won't prescribe you a higher dose, definitely look at having a break and re-starting on the 30mg. I would also look at taking a women's multi as well as a vitamin B supplement to give you that extra boost of energy, it definitely won't hurt :)

Hope the above has helped you out a little *hugs*

Reactions: Capri312
Technically day 6 but I doubt there will be a change in just 1 day.
I weighed 70.6kg and now weigh 69.5kg but I check again at a diff time I'm back at 70, seems to be all fluctuations so I dont believe that's a real loss of 1kg.

I was consistantly losing 1kg a week before duromine I might as well just do what I was doing at this rate

I eat no more than 1200 calories
I've had a cold since I started taking the pills and then Saturday got a EXTREMELY painful backside condition which has been so bad I've had to literally lay down all day because its painful to walk.

Is it because I havent been able to be active?
I am on 40mg , and its def working on suppressing appetite and I have some side effects
I'm 163cm too

Bit disappointed:(

Abigail Miller said:
Technically day 6 but I doubt there will be a change in just 1 day.
I weighed 70.6kg and now weigh 69.5kg but I check again at a diff time I'm back at 70, seems to be all fluctuations so I dont believe that's a real loss of 1kg.

I was consistantly losing 1kg a week before duromine I might as well just do what I was doing at this rate

I eat no more than 1200 calories
I've had a cold since I started taking the pills and then Saturday got a EXTREMELY painful backside condition which has been so bad I've had to literally lay down all day because its painful to walk.

Is it because I havent been able to be active?
I am on 40mg , and its def working on suppressing appetite and I have some side effects
I'm 163cm too

Bit disappointed:(
Hey Abigail, the first week of weight loss is usually a lot of water weight and to be honest, I was on 40mg also but never weighed myself at home, just waited for the monthly dr visit to do it so I didn't gdt disheartened or obsessed with what the scales said!! Instead I just went on how my clothes were fitting, definitely got looser and kept up with my exercise which I think is pretty important even when appetite is suppressed and your calories are low. That condition is pretty common especially at beginning till your body adjusts, maybe visit local pharmacy and have a chat to pharmacist about what to take to help you. You are more than welcome to chat with me anytime, hope you're feeling better jo

Reactions: Rava and Dre
Jo666 said:
Hey Abigail, the first week of weight loss is usually a lot of water weight and to be honest, I was on 40mg also but never weighed myself at home, just waited for the monthly dr visit to do it so I didn't gdt disheartened or obsessed with what the scales said!! Instead I just went on how my clothes were fitting, definitely got looser and kept up with my exercise which I think is pretty important even when appetite is suppressed and your calories are low. That condition is pretty common especially at beginning till your body adjusts, maybe visit local pharmacy and have a chat to pharmacist about what to take to help you. You are more than welcome to chat with me anytime, hope you're feeling better jo

Hi thanks for commenting , I'm getting better so my next week I will be more active at least!
Your right, I need to stop weighing myself. I told myself I wont check until the month is up or at least at 2 weeks time lol but it's hard to resist.
Hope you have a good day :)

Ok so I am 3 weeks in at 40mg and I’ve only lost 1.5kg. Very upsetting. Been having fat blaster shakes for breakfast, either fat blaster shake or salad for lunch and dinner is whatever my husband makes. I’ve been cutting out biscuits and coke and all the stuff I used to eat and have heard stories of people losing heaps of weight and me - nothing. Second week I didn’t eat during the almost at all cause of the tablets but didn’t lose anything cause my body went into starvation mode. Help pleaseeeee

Ok @Fatherine there are a couple of things I want to ask and hopefully we can get some insight into what might be happening :)

So;

1. Are you tracking your food intake? and your drinks?
If you aren't have a look at an app like "My Fitness Pal" or "Lose It" as both have free options that will give you a total and list each item individually as well. It will also break down salts, fats, proteins and carbs - and for me this was really beneficial as I found that I was having too much sodium (salt) which caused me to retain water and not let the kg's drop.

That being said the recommended dietary intake for women wanting to lose weight is 1200 calories. Quite a few of us aim for 1000 for a quicker weight loss. Just remember also that if you are exercising you are going to need more fuel for your body

2. If your dinner is a heavy one - maybe it might help to swap your meals around.
Make breakfast your biggest meal of the day, a lighter lunch and a shake for dinner.

3. Are you doing any exercise at all?
Even if it is just going for a brisk walk 3 times a week - it will definitely help.

4. If you are exercising are you remembering to have rest days?
For example I have a calorie burn goal of 500. That is what I try to burn each day. When its a rest day, I still burn the 500 but my exercise is not intense. I can burn 500 calories just by spring cleaning my house and running errands on some days. If you are exercising every single day, muscles that are being used consistently will become inflammed. Your body needs a break from that intensity so that they have time to repair themselves and lose the inflammation - then you will drop the weight. For example I might run on a Monday, walk on a Tuesday, rest day on a Wednesday etc...

4. The dreaded cycle.
Unfortunately as women when it comes closer to our cycle we can hold on to fluid - again causing us to retain the kg's. For me (prior to my hysterectomy) the week before was awful and nothing would shift at all

5. How good were your eating choices prior to Duromine?
If someone for example is already eating healthy, watching their sugar, carbs and fats and has implemented an exercise routine, their body is already used to the change they have already made. Compare it to someone who needs to lose 30kg and whose diet consists of high sugar and fatty foods with no exercise. They start taking Duromine - all of a sudden they have no appetite and are able to make better healthier choices. They start exercising (for the first time in years) and the body goes "holy heck!" and drops a big number.

6. Are you on any type of medication?
The pill or HRT for women can cause your weight loss to move really slowly - so just a thought.

I know it is really hard to NOT compare yourself to others, but just remember we are all individuals and Duromine will work differently on everyone *hugs*

Reactions: Dre
I’ve lost 5.7kg independently since Sept 9 2018, by increasing my eating through Jenny Craig and trying to maintain a 1200cal per day diet.
After 2 months I started focusing on getting active and using my fit bit to help.
I’ve now reached a plateau which is how I came to my Doctor prescribing 30mg Duromine.
I’m 10 days in, sticking to my Jenny Craig and stepping/walking like a maniac and haven’t budged on the scales :(
On the plus side the dry mouth does make me drink more water, which is something I always struggled with.
Any suggestions?

Day 15 for me now, still no loss. Still walking and having my 1200 per day via Jenny Craig.

Drinking water like crazy. I find I stay up later but it’s not like extra energy per say, I’m just awake reading or watching tv.

I used Durolax too. Thought maybe I was literally “full of it”.... but nope, I wasn’t! Ha ha

I think if I went up a dose of Duromine it would be too much.

Hi 8Fox8 ... just replied to your posts with Drewondru87. But just wanted to say that I tried Jenny Craig in the past (5 years ago) and stuck to it religiously. I lost 5 kg in the first 5 weeks and then no more. I found that Jenny Craig food is full of heavy carbohydrates like pasta, potato, cheese etc.
If you can, I would stop JC. If you have the time and energy, do it yourself - start eating healthy, clean, unprocessed food like good old meat and vegetables. I think you’ll find a big difference in your weight loss. Still stick to the 1200-1300 calories per day. It will also cost you a lot less.
Good luck.

Reactions: Fashionista101