CUTIE_PETUTIE said:
That must be so tough on you. Anyone close by that can lend a hand.
My mum does what she can, bless her...

Rava said:
Don't be worried, you just have yourself a thorough Doctor :)

Duromine can cause your blood pressure to rise, and of course it is something that should be monitored.

Mr Doctor checked mine before starting and I have to go back in a month for her to check it again :)

You are right. I saw the doc this morning. My BP is normal and she's happy for me to go ahead. She'll monitor me over the next few weeks and she wants me to tell her if I get any of the side effects. Ready to start! Here we go!

April said:
Welcome to the forum! You already have a great team of supporters here =) I am sure your doc will say that everything’s ok. The main thing is not to worry. The sleeping issue… thank god that we forget the hard times. Looking back at my kids’ sleeping in the first 6 months… I, just like Plucky, have no idea how I survived… I am sorry that you are going through this, but, yes, you should take a nap with the baby during the day, as well. You need the sleep to lose weight. And the 40mg Duromine is soooo capable of causing insomnia. Try to rest when you can, otherwise you’ll have no forces to exercise. Wish you all the luck and a great weekend!

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I have taken your advice on board. I just desperately want two things - to get rid of this weight and to be healthy both mentally and physically.

Reactions: April
CUTIE_PETUTIE said:
My oldest had night time colic. Learnt baby massage to get me through it lol. It really helped. Those first few months were a nightmare. Maybe try that?

Thank you for the tip. I shall try this :)

Update - Duromine Day 1

Week 1 - Monday 21 May 2018
Starting weight - 83.3kg

4:30am and I've just taken my first Duromine 40mg. Here we go!

Reactions: CUTIE_PETUTIE
A little late, but still, Happy Birthday!!! May all your dreams, even the wildest ones, come true!

Congrats on the weight loss! Amazing result! Woohooo!!! Keep up the great work and have an amazingly successful week!

Reactions: Determined93
So I started my Duromine 40mg yesterday. I'd read all about the side effects so I took the pill at 4am. By about 6am I could feel the buzz and thirst kicking in.

In terms of food, this is what I did:

Breakfast - 2 hard-boiled eggs with a dry slice of rye toast
Lunch - John West chilli Tuna
Snack - 2 rice cakes with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
Dinner - steamed salmon with 1 cup of steamed sweet potato and 1 cup of steamed salmon

Water - 4.250 litres

In terms of appetite, I really didn't feel hungry during the day and could have easily gone without eating but I know this will destroy my metabolism so I made sure that I ate as healthy as I could.

Exercise
- 45 minute walk with baby and dog
- 45 minutes on the treadmill

Determined2try said:
So I started my Duromine 40mg yesterday. I'd read all about the side effects so I took the pill at 4am. By about 6am I could feel the buzz and thirst kicking in.

In terms of food, this is what I did:

Breakfast - 2 hard-boiled eggs with a dry slice of rye toast
Lunch - John West chilli Tuna
Snack - 2 rice cakes with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
Dinner - steamed salmon with 1 cup of steamed sweet potato and 1 cup of steamed salmon

Water - 4.250 litres

In terms of appetite, I really didn't feel hungry during the day and could have easily gone without eating but I know this will destroy my metabolism so I made sure that I ate as healthy as I could.

Exercise
- 45 minute walk with baby and dog
- 45 minutes on the treadmill
Wow good start. Your food choice was amazing. I'm glad you didn't cut out food. That's the mistake we me we think oh I'm not hungry..... I too continued eating except I made healthier choices....as much as duromine kills your appetite its kills the bad cravings. I monopolised on this and started seeing food as form of nourishment not comfort. I am reply excited about this journey your on. Good job

Reactions: Determined2try
Just wanted to add, make sure you get a good variety of different foods in your meal plan.

In the past I have tended to eat the same thing over and over, and you end up getting so bored with it. So this time, I try to plan my meals more, and even though Im eating a lot of salad and veg, I am spicing them up differently nearly every day :)

Rava said:
Just wanted to add, make sure you get a good variety of different foods in your meal plan.

In the past I have tended to eat the same thing over and over, and you end up getting so bored with it. So this time, I try to plan my meals more, and even though Im eating a lot of salad and veg, I am spicing them up differently nearly every day :)
Valid point.... Maybe you can share some of you meal ideas?

CUTIE_PETUTIE said:
Valid point.... Maybe you can share some of you meal ideas?
No problems!

This is one of my favs as I love creamy salad dressings!

Low Fat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
(13 serves - 1 serve = 1/4 cup (64g) - I generally use a tablespoon)

2 cups low fat butter milk
3/4 cup fat free sour cream
3/4 cup fat free Greek yogurt
1/3 cup light mayonnaise
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp fresh chives
1 tbsp fres parsley
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
1-2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar

Combine everything except the balsamic and buttermilk, mix well.
Add the balsamic and buttermilk with a good stir.

Calories per serve: 52.5 for 1/4 cup, or 17.5 for a tablespoon.
Total Protein: 3.5g, Fat: 2g, Sat Fat: 0g, Sodium 289mg, Carbs: 5.5g, Fiber: 0g, Sugar 4g.

I find the above easy to mix up for variety. For example, you can take away the sour cream and add avocado (be warned doesn't last as long in the fridge). You can omit the mayo. You can try different herbs and go for more asian inspired like fresh coriander and basil. Make it Indian and go for paprika and cumin. Want it spicy - add some chilli :)

Obviously the calorie/nutrition stats would change depending on what you add or subtract.

Fat Free Asian Salad Dressing (another family favourite)
(makes 1/2 cup - 170g but you can easily double it)

2 garlic cloves
1 piece of ginger (same size as a garlic clove)
85 g soy sauce (I use salt reduced)
42 g red wine vinegar
15 g sugar
3 drops of sesame oil
3 teaspoons of water.

I mince my garlic and ginger and just chuck everything in a blender. Comes out frothy.

In regards to calories; when doing individual serves I use a tablespoon (20g).

1/2 cup = 172 calories , 1 tablespoon = 9 calories.

Edited to add: I like this over my vegetables as well :)

@Rava thank you for the tips and for sharing your recipes. I love creamy dressings myself and can't wait to try these.

@CUTIE_PETUTIE - thank you so much for the encouragement. It's wonderful to have support. Makes the journey a little easier.

Day 2 update

Hi everyone, well day 2 was certainly interesting. My little bubba decided mama needs more challenges yesterday so in managing her, things went a bit haywire with eating.

I think I'm tolerating the duromine pretty well as the side effects don't seem to be too bad even though I'm on 40mg. At this point it's basically a dry mouth and thirst. Heart rate is fine even though there's quite a buzzy feeling.

Because of my severe post natal depression and anxiety, I've been on antidepressants which I frankly hate. So I made the decision to do a gradual stop in the weeks before starting the duromine. I had been cautioned that my depression and anxiety might feel worse but thankfully not the case. I think the fact that I'm focusing on my goals is definitely helping me fight and the exercise helps to calm me down by using all that anxious energy. The battle is real and I still have plenty of low moments but I refuse to think about the negatives and I am determined to find a positive in everything - the beautiful sunshine, my little girl's giggles, the dog doing silly things....

Ok with food and exercise, I woke up to feed the baby at 3am and took my tablet. Baby girl didn't sleep after that and was grizzly all through early morning so I ended up missing breakfast and only got a chance to eat at 11:30am. Brunch was basically dinner leftovers of baked salmon and steamed veggies. At about 3:30pm I squeezed in a protein shake and some mixed nuts, and a cup of chopped carrot and cucumber. Bubs finally crashed for a sleep and I managed to get 45 minutes on the treadmill. By dinner time I was actually beginning to feel the hunger pangs. I was also conscious of the fact that I hadn't eaten much so I made a huge salad with carrots, cucumber, tomato, red onion, strawberries, peas, chickpeas, apple, corn, spinach, dates, coriander and chillies.
Water - 3.5 litres.

And now, here we go.. . Day 3 begins.

Last edited:
Determined2try said:
I think I'm tolerating the duromine pretty well as the side effects don't seem to be too bad even though I'm on 40mg. At this point it's basically a dry mouth and thirst. Heart rate is fine even though there's quite a buzzy feeling.

Thats great to hear! I too had a buzz going on for the first few days, jittery as well! One of my girlfriends came over and she thought I was talking a mile a minute, not to mention I couldn't sit still lol! From about day four, I was back to normal, just with great focus. I am on 30mg :)

Determined2try said:
I had been cautioned that my depression and anxiety might feel worse but thankfully not the case. I think the fact that I'm focusing on my goals is definitely helping me fight and the exercise helps to calm me down by using all that anxious energy. The battle is real but I refuse to think about the negatives and I am determined to find a positive in everything - the beautiful Sunshine, my little girl's giggles, the dog doing silly things.

That is such a great attitude to have - focusing on the positive things! I too had post natal depression so I understand how you feel. For me I didn't even want to rely on any antidepressants at the time, because in my head it was like admitting I was weak. Once I got through that silly thought, I was able to realise yes I did need them at the time, and yes they did get everything back on an even keel for me. It is such a big hormonal, physical change after a baby, not to mention the emotional stuff you go through too boot! I too weaned myself off them when my youngest was about 6 months old.

Determined2try said:
Ok with food and exercise, I woke up to feed the baby at 3am and took my tablet. Bubba didn't sleep after that and was grizzly all through early morning so I ended up missing breakfast and only got a chance to eat at 11:30am. Brunch was basically dinner leftovers of baked salmon and steamed veggies. At about 3:30pm I squeezed in a protein shake and some mixed nuts, and a cup of chopped carrot and cucumber. Bubba finally crashed for a sleep and I managed to get 45 minutes on the treadmill. By dinner time I was actually beginning to feel the hunger pangs. I was also conscious of the fact that I hadn't eaten much so I made a huge salad with carrots, cucumber, tomato, red onion, strawberries, peas, chickpeas, apple, corn, spinach, dates, coriander and chillies.
Water - 3.5 litres.

I am on day 12 today, and I think your attitude to your diet is a great one! With such a little one in the house it is so hard to stick to a routine, but I think you are doing just fine!

Rava said:
Thats great to hear! I too had a buzz going on for the first few days, jittery as well! One of my girlfriends came over and she thought I was talking a mile a minute, not to mention I couldn't sit still lol! From about day four, I was back to normal, just with great focus. I am on 30mg :)

That is such a great attitude to have - focusing on the positive things! I too had post natal depression so I understand how you feel. For me I didn't even want to rely on any antidepressants at the time, because in my head it was like admitting I was weak. Once I got through that silly thought, I was able to realise yes I did need them at the time, and yes they did get everything back on an even keel for me. It is such a big hormonal, physical change after a baby, not to mention the emotional stuff you go through too boot! I too weaned myself off them when my youngest was about 6 months old.

I am on day 12 today, and I think your attitude to your diet is a great one! With such a little one in the house it is so hard to stick to a routine, but I think you are doing just fine!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, sending you a big hug!

Reactions: Rava
Determined2try said:
Day 2 update

Hi everyone, well day 2 was certainly interesting. My little bubba decided mama needs more challenges yesterday so in managing her, things went a bit haywire with eating.

Because of my severe post natal depression and anxiety, I've been on antidepressants which I frankly hate. So I made the decision to do a gradual stop in the weeks before starting the duromine. I had been cautioned that my depression and anxiety might feel worse but thankfully not the case. I think the fact that I'm focusing on my goals is definitely helping me fight and the exercise helps to calm me down by using all that anxious energy. The battle is real and I still have plenty of low moments but I refuse to think about the negatives and I am determined to find a positive in everything - the beautiful sunshine, my little girl's giggles, the dog doing silly things....

Ok with food and exercise, I woke up to feed the baby at 3am and took my tablet. Baby girl didn't sleep after that and was grizzly all through early morning so I ended up missing breakfast and only got a chance to eat at 11:30am. Brunch was basically dinner leftovers of baked salmon and steamed veggies. At about 3:30pm I squeezed in a protein shake and some mixed nuts, and a cup of chopped carrot and cucumber. Bubs finally crashed for a sleep and I managed to get 45 minutes on the treadmill. By dinner time I was actually beginning to feel the hunger pangs. I was also conscious of the fact that I hadn't eaten much so I made a huge salad with carrots, cucumber, tomato, red onion, strawberries, peas, chickpeas, apple, corn, spinach, dates, coriander and chillies.
Water - 3.5 litres.

You're doing great...... Just keep swimming